Friday 18 December 2015

Four Hills...WINTER

In a previous post, I introduced the project , Four Hills, where I would be photographing the Rooted in RED symbol through the four seasons.  The four seasons tell the story of growing, maturing and the process of life and aging according to Ojibwe teachings.  I started with Fall (adolescents), and have now moved onto winter (adult).  I applied red ochre powder pigment to the snow drift in my backyard.  Outside in the sun, the deep, rich hue of red ochre looks natural and an obvious earth mineral.  In photos it looks like blood.  I was originally going to tag snow banks through Denver with this symbol in red ochre, but it is so similar to blood that I do not feel comfortable doing it.  So for now, it will remain documented from my yard:)  The pigment was dry as I painted into the snow, so it settled on the surface, as it absorbed it resembled a velvet surface reflecting the light.  


DAY 1.................................................................................................
Rooted in RED red ochre symbol in snow











Day 2...................................................................................................





Day 3...................................................................................................





Day 4...................................................................................................





No comments:

Post a Comment